Saturday, July 16, 2011

Flower$!: Chapter 1

I looked in the rearview mirror of the Yukon I was ordered to drive. I looked ahead as far as I could see, but it was hard to focus on the tiny white blur ahead of me: the white van I was ordered to follow at all cost.
Right before I boarded my vehicle, I was handed a silver 380 that sparkled like spring water in morning sunlight. I did not have a shoulder holster so I just shoved the gun in the back of my pants and covered it with my white undershirt. I was fine the first two miles or so, but the hard medal began digging into my back and it became very uncomfortable and annoying.
                We must have been on the interstate for about 30 miles before the target exited and turned east on a farm road. The rural road, vegetation, and the fact that we were getting away from civilization made me a bit uneasy, but I followed my orders and trailed the white van, which sometimes reached speeds of over 100 miles per hour. We traveled down this road for about 5 miles… further and further away from civilization.
                I pulled out a pack of cigarettes from my pocket and put one in my mouth then began desperately looking for a lighter. Patience was definitively NOT one of my top qualities at this moment.
                I finally found a lighter inside one of the compartments of the dashboard, but as I quickly learned, it was out of fluid. I threw the lighter out the window and yelled a few profanities. I did not know when I would have another opportunity to purchase a lighter.
                I reached out to open the glove compartment in hopes of finding a lighter, but just as I was opening it I heard the worse sound I could have possibly heard at that moment… sirens! I freaked out a bit and jerked the steering wheel a few times before regaining my composure and straightening out the vehicle. Now I found myself in quite a pickle… on one hand, I was told to follow the white van at all cost by some very nasty people who don’t like being disobeyed and on the other, this is THE POLICE! I’ve seen on TV what happens when you don’t pull over.
                I could NOT believe I found myself in this plight considering 72 hours ago I was working at Super Mart as Team Leader in the Technology department… and didn’t even know what a damned cigarette tasted like!

No comments:

Post a Comment