Thursday, March 3, 2011

Google Your Own Site

One of the greatest advice I have been given regarding web and online marketing is, "Google your own site." Since you know your own domain name, it may sound counter-intuitive to do a Google search for your own website, but trust me, the results are magnificent. I started doing this with the website I developed for my fraternity's local chapter, thephikapsofthexas.org, in January of this year and since then I have noticed better results when I do a search. Now, as a web developer by profession, I am doing this for every one of my clients so I'm helping their traffic every time I work on their website.

It may sound like we're cheating Google here, but the truth is we are probably helping them. Google's main goal is to provide its users with the best content for their search so they are constantly updating their databases and if you continue searching your own site, you are showing Google your website is alive and providing useful information.

One think that peeves me about working with a few clients is when they want a website to act as an "online brochure." You mean you have the opportunity and ability to reach the world and all you want to show them is the same basic information about your business over and over? See, Google also cares about keeping its users current, so naturally, they will look for the most up-to-date content to deliver to their user, but if you're not going to update your site regularly then I guess the next best thing to do is Google your own site to let them know your live and providing relevant information.

No comments:

Post a Comment