Saturday, January 15, 2011

Things I do When I Write a Song

I begin by blogging about song-writing. When I write a song, I have to tap into the scene that caused this inspiration for me. I tap into that memory, let the creativity flow and I jot down what comes to mind. Although it's not the only technique I use, I find it easier to write lyrics and then adapt music to it later.

Sometimes I just grab the guitar, begin playing randomly and usually something nice springs up. Most of the time I forget what I was playing, though, so it's not the best method.

I like to record what I wrote, even if it's a cheap tape recorder, and playback what I wrote several times. Sometimes I even record into the voice memo in my phone. This has proven to be an effective method as it gives me a chance to hear it and concentrate on listening instead of concentrating on playing. It's amazing what you can hear when you're not worried about what chord you have to play next.

No comments:

Post a Comment